Webpage sponsored by Emery Telcom

Western Mining and Railroad Museum
Home Page
What's New
Tour of Museum
Photographs
Archives
Links Page

Introduction

Photo collections:

Order Form

Helper Photographs

    Helper, Utah was originally a railroad town and served as the "hub" for all the mining camps surrounding it. All the buildings and homes on main street, with the exception of four, were built between 1898 and 1939 and now make up Historic Mainstreet, all named on the Historical Register. Available are pictures dating 1891 to 1950. As a center for miners and railroaders there were saloons, hotels, bordellos, pool halls, gambling halls, Greek Coffee houses, theatres for entertainment from Kabuki theater, silent movies, boxing and dancing. There were also grocery stores and mercantile stores.

    Please keep in mind that these photographs have been reduced in size to approximately 1 1/2" to 2" to save on server space and download time. The original size of the photograph varies. Please see the Introduction page for details on ordering photographs along with the price list.

Round House

Photo #: 91-2-1 Date of origin:  
Item Name: Round House
Description: Stalls with engines in for repairs, Helper Depot, roundhouse

YMCA

Photo #: 91-2-4 Date of origin:  
Item Name: YMCA
Description: Railroad YMCA building for Railroad workers.

engine

Photo #: 91-2-7 Date of origin:  
Item Name: Engine
Description: Steam Engine #843, Helper Yard

Steam Engine

Photo #: 91-2-18 Date of origin:  
Item Name: Steam Engine
Description: Steam Engine in Helper Railroad Yard

Depot

Photo #: 91-2-24 Date of origin:  
Item Name: Depot
Description: The Denver and Rio Grande Depot, Helper, Utah

Steam Engine

Photo #: 91-2-41 Date of origin: 1955
Item Name: Steam Engine
Description: Abba set of F-7's diesel engines (1957). Moving out of Helper Yard. 3610 Steam Engine, 2882 - class L 131 (Herbert Draper Collection)

Steam Engine

Photo #: 91-2-42 Date of origin: 1900
Item Name: Steam Engine
Description: 1002 C-41 steam engine switching at Roper yard used in switching service at Helper (Herbert Draper Collection)

Steam Engine

Photo #: 91-2-43 Date of origin: 1926
Item Name: Steam Engine
Description: L131 3611 Helper pushing on Carbon County coal train (Herbert Draper Collection)

Roundhouse

Photo #: 91-2-63 Date of origin:  
Item Name: Roundhouse
Description: Roundhouse in Helper Terminal

Helper Depot

Photo #: 91-2-78 Date of origin: 1900
Item Name: Helper Depot
Description: Helper Depot

Steam Engine

Photo #: 91-2-79 Date of origin: 1956
Item Name: Steam Engine
Description: Last steam engine in Helper Railroad yard

railroader

Photo #: 91-2-110 Date of origin: 1920
Item Name: Helper Railroader
Description: Japanese Railroader in the Helper Railroad yard.

Main Street

Photo #: 91-3-1 Date of origin: 1930
Item Name: Main Street
Description: Helper Main Street

store

Photo #: 91-3-7 Date of origin: 1930
Item Name: store
Description: Castle Rock Store with Rudy Rebol behind the counter on the right.

main street

Photo #: 91-3-8 Date of origin: c1909
Item Name: main street
Description: This picture would have been taken after the Barboglio building was built in 1907 and the the right is the Lowenstein built in 1906 and before the Helper State Bank was built.

bank

Photo #: 91-3-9 Date of origin: 1914
Item Name: Helper State Bank
Description: Helper State Bank, A.D. Sutton Drug and Tokyo Restaurant on Helper mainstreet in 1914. This was the year the bank was constructed.

Main Street

Photo #: 91-3-10 Date of origin: 1914
Item Name: Main Street
Description: Helper Main Street 1914

store

Photo #: 91-3-13 Date of origin:  
Item Name: store
Description: inside of Main Street store

Main Street

Photo #: 91-3-25 Date of origin: 1915
Item Name: Main Street
Description: Helper Main street with buildings on the left side: Colonial Hotel (1913), Barboglio building (1907), Lowenstein (1906), Elegante Bar (c1915), Helper State Bank (1914). On the right side of the street is the City Hall, which looks like the building next to the present City Hall.

Main Street

Photo #: 91-3-29 Date of origin: c1910
Item Name: Main Street
Description: Horse and wagon on Helper Mainstreet. Picture taken after Barboglio building built in 1907 and before the Colonial Hotel was built next to it in 1913.

YMCA

Photo #: 91-3-36 Date of origin:  
Item Name: YMCA
Description: YMCA (Young Men's Christian Association) for railroad workers in Helper, Utah

Mainstreet

Photo #: 91-3-44 Date of origin:  
Item Name: Mainstreet
Description: Helper Mainstreet

Helper

Photo #: 91-3-70 Date of origin: 1908
Item Name: Helper
Description: View of a part of Helper showing a row of houses with the Railroad YMCA and the Railroad Boarding House.

Mainstreet

Photo #: 91-3-71 Date of origin: 1910
Item Name: Mainstreet
Description: Mainstreet shows hotel, meat market, grocery and bakery, Flaim Saloon, the Zang Bar and Helper restaurant.

school

Photo #: 91-3-75 Date of origin:  
Item Name: Helper Central School
Description: Helper Central School, burned in 1963.

Helper

Photo #: 91-3-82 Date of origin: 1934
Item Name: Helper
Description: Helper Mainstreet with arch on south end

Saloon

Photo #: 91-3-86 Date of origin:  
Item Name: Saloon
Description: inside a Helper Saloon

store

Photo #: 91-3-91 Date of origin:  
Item Name: Store
Description: The Toggery clothing store.

Chapel

Photo #: 91-3-107 Date of origin: 1899
Item Name: Chapel
Description: Non denominational Chapel built by the Denver and Rio Grande railroad in 1899

auditorium

Photo #: 91-3-144 Date of origin: 1936
Item Name: Auditorium
Description: Helper Auditorium built by WPA in 1936

Service Station

Photo #: 91-3-162 Date of origin: 1930
Item Name: Service Station
Description: Service Station built by Giolotti, Italian block mason of native stone

employees

Photo #: 91-3-163 Date of origin: 1925
Item Name: Mutual Merc Employees
Description: Employees of the Mutal Merc. Co. during the inventory of 1925. Store owned by John Skerl and J. Rolando. (In the Dalpiaz Building.)

Candy Store

Photo #: 91-3-222 Date of origin: 1930
Item Name: Candy Store
Description: Jim Pappacostas, Palace Candy Store, 1930, Helper, Utah

Main Street

Photo #: 91-3-241 Date of origin: 1910
Item Name: Main Street
Description: Old Post Office and barber shop on Helper mainstreet. The three floor building to the right burned in 1919 and Helper Furniture replaced it in 1919.

East side Main Street

Photo #: 91-3-257 Date of origin: 1932
Item Name: East Side Main Street
Description: East side of Helper Main street. One story red brick commercial block containing seven businesses originally owned by Helper Securities. Safeway store, Central Cleaners, drug store, post office, shoe store, Success Meat Market.

Helper Main Street

Photo #: 91-3-264 Date of origin: 1938
Item Name: Helper Main Street
Description: Mutual Mercantile Store in the Dalpiaz building north of the Bank Building. It was operated and owned by John Skerl between 1924 and 1945 when they moved into the Lowenstein building. The photo includes John Skerl and John Batista Ferraro.

Helper Main Street

Photo #: 91-3-294 Date of origin: 1920
Item Name: Helper Main Street
Description: Mainstreet before the LaSalle was built in 1922 and after the Helper Hotel (museum) was built in 1914.

Helper

Photo #: 91-3-320 Date of origin: 1910
Item Name: Helper
Description: Overview of Helper.

Mainstreet

Photo #: 91-3-332 Date of origin: 1930
Item Name: Mainstreet
Description: Helper mainstreet - first building is Mutual Furniture

post office

Photo #: 91-3-411 Date of origin: 1999
Item Name: Post Office
Description: Helper City Post Office, 45 South Main; National Register of Histocial Places in 1976

Main Street

Photo #: 91-3-419 Date of origin: 1927
Item Name: Main Street
Description: 127 South Main, Helper Securities, Pennies, Cleaners, Jewelry Store, Et. National Register of Historical Places 1976

main street

Photo #: 91-3-534 Date of origin: 1922
Item Name: Main Street
Description: Commercial Building constructed in 1922 by Charles Bertolino. Had the Athens Restaurant and the Krissman Shoe repair Shop. The Piggly Wiggly store was also in this building. Purchased by Kenneth Mower for a clothes cleaning business and sold to John Skerl in 1965 for storage.

outdoor oven

Photo #: 91-3-536 Date of origin: 1920
Item Name: Outdoor Oven
Description: Outdoor oven still standing at the Verde home in Helper, across the street from the Helper Baseball park.

main street

Photo #: 91-3-538 Date of origin: 1925
Item Name: Main Street
Description: Helper Main Street after the Flaim building was built in 1919 and before the O.P. Skaggs store was built in 1928, next to the Utah Hotel. City Cafe, Noodle and Chop Suey at the Chop Suey House.

Peddler

Photo #: 91-3-540 Date of origin: c1910
Item Name: Peddler
Description: Wagon being pulled by a team of horses. A peddler hauling items to sell in the town and in the mining camps.

Grocery Store

Photo #: 91-3-570 Date of origin: 1922
Item Name: Grocery Store
Description: John Giacoletto with wife Mary Giacoletto in their store, Workmens Market. They built the store in 1922. This photo was taken in 1948.

Grocery Store

Photo #: 91-3-572 Date of origin: 1930
Item Name: Grocery Store
Description: Workman's Market in Helper showing the grocery store and the fruit stand where the Giacoletto's own produce was sold. The photo also shows an ICE truck parked outside.

school

Photo #: 91-3-585 Date of origin: 2003
Item Name: school
Description: Helper Jr. High School was built as a WPA project during the depression. Photo donated by SueAnn Martell.

swinging bridge

Photo #: 91-3-586 Date of origin: 2003
Item Name: swinging bridge
Description: The Swinging Bridge is a Helper landmark. It was built in 1936 and is a suspension bridge over the Price River. Photo donated by SueAnn Martell.

swimming pool

Photo #: 91-3-588 Date of origin: 2003
Item Name: swimming pool
Description: The Helper Swimming Pool located near the City Park. Photo donated by SueAnn Martell.

store

Photo #: 91-3-655 Date of origin: 1992
Item Name: store
Description: Cornet Store, a variety store on Helper Main Street for many years. Torn down in 1992. The counter from the store is in the Company Store in the Western Mining and Railroad Museum. The Blacksmith shop in the museum is lined with old boards from the store.



Home Page
What's New
Tour of Museum
Photographs
Archives
Links Page