Webpage sponsored by Emery Telcom

Western Mining and Railroad Museum
Home Page
What's New
Tour of Museum
Photographs
Archives
Links Page

Guided Tour

Tour Beginning

Outside of Museum

Basement:

Main Floor:

Second Floor:

Third Floor:

Museum Tour

Western Mining & Railroad Museum

    The museum tells the history of the railroad, mining and the lifestyles of the multiethnic immigrants who came into the area between 1880 and about 1936 to work on the railroad and work in the coal mines.

    There are four floors of artifacts and photographs that tell the history.

    Basement: A simulated coal mine shows the earliest mining methods, tools and equipment used in coal mining; a blacksmith shop, display of the Castle Gate robbery by the Butch Cassidy gang, early police history and equipment used during the days of prohibition in Carbon County.

    Main Floor: Photographs of the mining camps; a typical mining camp kitchen and other memorabelia of the immigrants, and display of Italian artifacts. There is also a model train and gift shop.

    Second Floor: This floor shows the lifestyles of the immigrants: the company store, the hospital, nurses and dentist office. The school room, children's toys, early communication devices, beauty shop, community organizations and the baseball room are also included. The highlight of this floor is the display of the Winter Quarters mine explosion in 1900. Photographs of the mining camps: Rains, Standardville, Spring Canyon, Latuda, Royal, Castle Gate are displayed. The halls are covered with WPA paintings of Utah artists done during the "Great Depression".

    Third Floor: You can get a view of Helper Historic Main Street, the railroad yards and the Balanced Rock (an amazing rock formation on top of the mountain). You will also see the railroad office and two rooms of artifacts from the steam engine days. The Charlie Steen room shows the story of uranioum mining. There are pictures of mining camps and the Castle Gate and Wilberg mine disasters. A new display is the union room telling the history of the organization of the United Mine Workers of America. Photographs of Price and the early airport are on display.